Characterization and prediction of acute and sustained response to psychedelic psilocybin in a mindfulness group retreatnature.com
- In a double-blind test on 39 meditators during a 5-day retreat, scientists studied the effects of combining high doses of the psychedelic drug psilocybin and meditation.
- The drug increased meditation depth, making those that used it more open and optimistic.
- Combined, meditation and psilocybin produced larger positive changes in psychosocial functioning after a 4-month follow-up than meditation alone.
- The combination increased feelings of spiritual experience, blissful state and feelings of unity by an average of 40% compared to sober meditators.
- This shows how experiences of selflessness can influence behaviour and attitudes, and the findings could help create better therapies for common mental conditions.