Summary #636

Climate change: Water and green energy produced by a single device

bbc.com
  • New device combines photovoltaic solar panels with three stage membrane distillation to generate electricity and clean water at the same time.
  • Only up to 20% of heat that hits solars turns into energy - this device is the first to make use of the other 80%.
  • It produces 3x more water than conventional solar stills, and generates 9x more power than achieved in previous research.
  • Estimates show it could produce 10% of drinking water globally, but it will be tricky to commercialise, and probably useful only at small to medium scale.
  • Traditional ways of generating electricity consume huge amounts of water, just like producing water via desalination consumes huge amounts of energy.

Categories

  • Science Science (48) Light-based strategy effectively treats carbon monoxide poisoning in rats
  • Psychology Psychology (48) Here's What Young People All Over the World Say They Want Most in a Partner
  • Cosmos Cosmos (23) Scientists observe mysterious cosmic web directly for first time
  • History History (14) Humans survived off rodents in the mountains during the last ice age, study says
  • Society Society (56) Meet the Rich Kids Who Want to Give Away All Their Money
  • Medicine Medicine (47) In A 1st, Doctors In U.S. Use CRISPR Tool To Treat Patient With Genetic Disorder
  • Technology Technology (54) Controlling superconducting regions within an exotic metal
  • Nature Nature (38) Back from the dead: Some corals regrow after 'fatal' warming

Newsletter

Newsletter

Fame 🙌

Bullets.tech - Articles for science lovers shortened to five bullet points. | Product Hunt Embed

We were featured on Hacker News, O'REILLY® Ideas, and Boing Boing.