‘Very promising’: UK’s first full heroin-prescribing scheme extended after reductions in crime and homelessnessindependent.co.uk
- Giving heroin users a safe and legal supply of the drug has worked in several countries for decades, and now cities in the UK are seeing the benefits, too.
- The program is funded with money seized from criminals, and it has enabled addicts to start turning their life around.
- With the need to constantly buy street heroin (with money from crimes), they were able to engage with health, housing and welfare agencies.
- Their psychological and physical health got much better.
- Compared to other efforts to fight this problem, this is the only one that works, and the UK pilot program is going to be extended for another year.