- Physical exercise is useful for treating people who have anxiety, depression, schizophrenia, and other mental health disorders, according to a study conducted at the University of Vermont, USA.
- The researchers suggest that physical exercise is as effective in alleviating these patients as pharmacotherapy based on psychotropic drugs.
- The results indicated that the patients who participated in the study showed improvement in their mood and self-esteem after performing physical exercises under controlled conditions.
- Also, the levels of anger, anxiety, and depression decreased, and the patients reported that they felt happier and pleased after the exercise sessions.
- According to research reports, some Chinese industries are producing trichlorofluoromethane gas that destroys the ozone layer of the atmosphere.
- Chinese industries use this gas to produce polyurethane insulating foams.
- The production of this gas, also known as CFC-11, was banned since 2010 following the recommendations of the Montreal Protocol of 1987.
- CFC-11 decomposes in the atmosphere and releases chlorine atoms that attack and destroy the ozone layer that prevents the passage of dangerous ultraviolet radiation from sunlight.
- The report published in the journal Nature suggests that the Chinese must immediately stop producing this gas because of the impact it causes on the ozone layer.
- Approximately, plastic waste constitutes 70% of the garbage that pollutes the oceans of the world.
- In relation to this problem, a group of researchers found that certain species of marine microbes are able to disintegrate some of these plastic materials.
- The study carried out in Greece indicated that the microbes were capable of decomposing bags, packaging, bottles and other plastic derived from polyethylene and polystyrene.
- Although more conclusive evidence is lacking on the effectiveness of these investigations on a planetary scale, the study represents a hope to help mitigate this problem.
- Loneliness is capable of generating cancer, diabetes, depression, memory loss, and heart diseases.
- The feeling of loneliness tends to prevail in people under 25 and over 65 years old.
- Surveys indicate that volunteering helps to alleviate and counteract loneliness.
- Participating in voluntary activities in the communities helps to alleviate loneliness and maintain physical and mental health.
- The relationship between mindfulness and procrastination was analyzed in a study conducted with a group of Chinese students over six months.
- Mindfulness promotes focus on activities, while procrastination tends to postpone tasks and give in to impulses.
- The results suggest that when the level of procrastination of tasks is greater, mindfulness is less; this indicates that people who postpone tasks tend to be less conscious.
- Likewise, it was observed that the increase in the level of mindfulness reveals lower levels of procrastination, which implies that more conscious people tend to postpone activities less.
- Although the study has limitations, other previous findings tend to confirm the existence of a bidirectional link between mindfulness and procrastination.